About

ABS

Aparri Bible SeminaryA Brief History

In the early 20th century the Churches of Christ were established in Cagayan Valley. It started in Aparri, Cagayan in 1904 and gradually proliferated to the adjacent towns, provinces and regions with the unwavering hard work exemplified by the early workers of the Lord.

Bro. Buenaventura Garcia, who came from Ilocos region, was among the earliest who set foot in Aparri, Cagayan. He became its first preacher in 1906.  As evangelism progressed more workers from Ilocos migrated to  Cagayan.  Among these brethren was Pastor Faustino Peneyra who finally decided to reside and take a full-time work for the evangelization of Cagayan Valley in 1923.

The increasing number of converts and congregations in the valley prompted Bro. Peneyra to establish a Bible Institute (early 1940s) where workers and preachers could be trained. He built it within the compound of the Aparri Church.

Embarking on an intensified evangelism, he made a plea for missionaries to help in the work here through an article in The Manila Christian publication. Bro. Charles and Sis. Roberta Selby, a missionary couple, responded to his “Macedonian call”. They joined him in preaching the Gospel to the Ilocano people in Northern Luzon.

A remarkable growth of churches in this part of the country made it inevitable to train leaders to lead and educate the newly established churches and to plant new ones. This had convinced the Selbys and Bro. Peneyra to expand and upgrade the Aparri Bible Institute, which had earlier been initiated by the latter, into a Bible college; hence, the establishment of the Aparri Bible Seminary (ABS) in 1952. It has been committed in training both men and women to carry the saving  message of salvation through Jesus Christ and to be leaders in the churches.

ABS has been contributing much in the development of local churches in northeastern region both qualitatively and quantitatively. Through out the years, it produced aggressive, dedicated and well-equipped ministers who served and nurtured the congregations.

As a result, not only the number of churches that had been   increased but also, more importantly, the orthodox teachings of the New Testament Church had been taught and put into    practice in all established congregations. Basically, this had made these congregations served by ABS to remain steadfast in the Faith, uphold and practice scriptural Christianity.

ABS also embarked on other allied ministries strategic for more efficient and effective evangelism. As the center of information and education of the Churches of Christ in the region, it adopted extension programs that further deepen and enhance the knowledge and skills of local church leaders in tending and overseeing their respective congregations.